What is National Teach Spanish Week and how do I prepare for it?
Did you know that National Teach Spanish Week (NTSW) is an event founded by the American Association of Teachers of Spanish and Portuguese (AATSP) in 2019? It was originally called National Teach Spanish Day. The celebration grew to be a week-long event in 2021 and is now held annually the last week of September.
The purpose of National Teach Spanish Week is:
- To promote the teaching of Spanish as a profession.
- To call attention to the current Spanish teacher shortage (PreK-16+) in the US.
- To emphasize the importance of Spanish as a world language.
We invite you to read AATSP’s NTSW proclamation and learn more about how you can celebrate this event.
- Teachers, where do you see yourself in the proclamation?
- Where do you see your students?
- Who can you share the proclamation with within your school or district?
Want to learn more? Then don’t miss the free webinar about National Teach Spanish Week taking place at 7pm EST on September 12, 2022. Panelists will include 2022 NTSW Co-Chairs Nadine Jacobsen-McLean, Hawthorne Elementary School, Louisville, KY, and Ryan Casey, Lexington High School, Lexington, MA, as well as 2021 NTSW Chair Haydee Taylor-Arnold, Ladue Horton Watkins High School, St. Louis, MO. They’ll have a lively discussion on how they follow and adapt the purpose of National Teach Spanish Week. Bring your questions!
Can’t attend the live webinar? Then watch the on-demand recording, which will be available on September 13, 2022 on our professional development archive.
By Susan Blumenthal
You Might Also Like: